ARTICLE I: NAME, PURPOSE
Section 1: The name of the organization shall be Sierra Watercolor Society ‘SWS’.
Section 2: The purpose o the nonprofit and educational organization is:
- To share the common love of water media among the members and the public;
- To create, foster and sustain an interest in the art of water media painting;
- To sponsor educational programs for members and guests;
- To offer displays and exhibitions of water media art; and
- To develop and encourage the attainment and maintenance of a high standard of art by its members
ARTICLE II: MEMBERSHIP
Section 1: Application for membership may be submitted by any person interested in the purpose for which this organization was formed.
Section 2: Privileges of regular membership shall include eligibility for full participation in workshops, meetings, programs, displays and exhibitions and eligibility to vote and hold office. There shall be no voting by proxy.
Section 3: All dues shall be uniform throughout the organization and they will be due January 1 of each year. Any member who has not paid dues by March 1 of any year shall be removed from the rolls of the organization and forfeit all rights and privileges of membership. Dues from August 1 thru October 31 shall be one-half of the yearly dues. Dues paid in November and December shall be carried to the following year.
ARTICLE III: MEMBERSHIP MEETINGS
Section 1: Meetings shall be held at least six (6) times a year, approximately every other month beginning in January.
Section 2: The last general membership meeting of the year shall be designated as the annual meeting.
ARTICLE IV: BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Section 1: The Board is responsible for overall policy and direction of the organization and shall conduct business deemed necessary to carry on business of this organization. Board members shall consist of all elected officers, the immediate past president, the chairs of standing committees, and the newsletter editor.
Section 2: Meetings.
- The Board shall meet prior to each membership meeting, at an agreed upon time and place.
- All SWS members are welcome to attend Board meetings and can make suggestions and contribute ideas. However, only Board members can vote upon issues.
Section 3: Elections of directors/officers will occur at the annual meeting of the organization. Officers will be elected by a majority of members in good standing who are in attendance at the annual meeting.
Section 4: All Board members shall serve from January 1 until December 31.
Section 5: A quorum of Board members must be present before business can be transacted or motions made or passed. A quorum is a majority of Board members.
Section 6: Duties of the Board. The Board shall
- Approve of annual Budget for the organization.
- Execute any agreements for rent, etc.
- Approve operating procedures for all committees and the newsletter.
- Establish accounting procedures for the organization.
- Maintain Bylaws that are current and workable.
- Approve all grant applications for the organization.
- Have final approval on all capital expenditures of $200 or greater.
- Set all fees for the organization, including honorariums for judges, speakers, demonstrators, entry fees, etc.
- Be responsible for the purchase, upkeep and storage of all SWS property (panels, signs and other equipment) and coordinate and approve the use of SWS properties.
Section 7: The Board may create committees as needed.
- Standing committees shall be Exhibit, Art Angel Workshops and Membership.
- The President shall appoint all chairpersons, except the nominating committee. Volunteers will be considered.
- The Nominating Committee shall be appointed at least by September 1. This committee chall be chaired by the immediate past President. Nominations and voting shall be by ballot or show of hands of members present.
ARTICLE V: ELECTED OFFICERS
Section 1: Each officer shall be an active regular member in good standing of the organization.
Section 2: Each officer shall serve from January 1 until December 31. He or she may not hold the same office for more than three (3) consecutive years.
Section 3: All officers shall serve without nonetary remuneration. Expenses may be reimbursed as the Board may deem fit.
Section 4: Duties.
- The President shall preside at all sWS Board and General Membership meetings and shall perform such duties as ordinarily pertain to this office. The President shall appoint, with the approval of the Board, an officer to fill any vacancy and shall appoint committee chairs, newsletter editor and video librarian.
- The Vice President shall assume the President’s responsibilities in that person’s absence, and shall schedule a program for each membership meeting and also perform other duties as assigned by the President.
- The Secretary shall record and preserve the minutes of the Board and membership meetings and perform other duties as they pertain to this office.
- The Treasurer shall be responsible for the accounting of all SWS monies, savings accounts and checking accounts. This officer shall perform such other duties as ordinarily pertain to this office.
- General responsibilities of each officer shall be put in writing and maintained on a current basis by the respective officer.
ARTICLE VI: AMENDMENTS
These Bylaws may be revised upon ten (10) days written notice prior to any general membership meeting. Majority vote of members present is needed to pass any revision or amendment.
ARTICLE VII: DISSOLUTION
Upon dissolution, the Board shall, after paying or making provision for the payment of al the liabilities of the organization, pay and turn over all of the residual assets of the organization to one or mor organizations which themselves are exempt as organizations described in Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 or the corresponding provition of any future United States Internal Revenue Code or to the federal, state or local government for exclusive public purposes.
Bylaws revised: January 2004
Bylaws approved: March 2004